Archive 2008 - 2019

Holliston to Receive $1,200,000

by Senator Karen Spilka

On Thursday, the Massachusetts Senate unanimously passed a bill authorizing $1.7 billion to fund environmental and energy projects across the Commonwealth, including the preservation and improvement of land, parks and clean energy in the MetroWest region, Senator Karen Spilka (D-Ashland) announced.

“Well-maintained, accessible recreational trails and open space have a significant impact on quality of life in MetroWest and across the state,” said Senator Spilka. “These projects will encourage people to get outdoors, be active and create connections with the community while enjoying the beautiful natural resources our region has to offer.”

Senator Spilka successfully advocated for funding for the following projects to preserve and improve recreational trails and access to open space in MetroWest:

  • $5,000,000 for the preservation of and improvements to the Birch Road well field in Framingham
  • $1,200,000 for the planning, acquisition, design and construction of an extension of the Upper Charles Trail in Holliston
  • $1,500,000 for the planning, acquisition, design and construction of an extension of the Upper Charles Trail from Milford into Hopkinton
  • $4,000,000 for the planning, acquisition, design and construction of multi-use recreational trails in Ashland
  • $1,000,000 to acquire and increase public access to open space in Medway, including the construction of improvements and facilities that increase the accessibility of walking trails and outdoor programming for children with special needs
  • $2,000,000 to create a network of recreational trails on aqueducts owned by the MWRA and located in Central Massachusetts and MetroWest 
  • $1,500,000 for the design and construction of improvements to the Southern New England Trunkline Trail (SNETT) where it crosses Prospect Street in Franklin

Spilka also worked to include funding in the bill for a Massachusetts Water Technology Innovation Trust Fund, which will be administered by the Clean Energy Technology Center, to promote water innovation in the Commonwealth.

Comments (5)

A big thank you to all the people involved that made this happen. Please visit to stay up to date on news about the rail trail and to make a donation via Pay Pal (we'll take old fashioned checks as well). Government money is as necessary as it is welcome but small donations from Hollistonians is what drives the day to day development of this project. The amount you can give is not important, the act of contributing, no matter the amount, is. Thank you, and enjoy YOUR trail.

Marc Rosenfeld | 2014-07-13 22:28:32

Folks -- government budgets have line items. There was a certain amount of cash which was allocated to the line item for the development of the state rail trail system. Senator Spilka did a terrific job snagging a good chunk of that money for the development of a project that is becoming an increasingly valuable asset for Holliston. This project needs funding in order to purchase land and related rights from CSX. Let's thank her for pushing this through for us. Sewers were shot down at Town Meeting 10 years ago. It may be time to bring them up again, but that's something for which there will need to be a groundswell of local support, various studies and a Town Meeting vote as to whether they are wanted before we can look for help from the State. Even if they are wanted, it's still a different budget line item. There are people looking at the issue of water quality in the lake. However, you don't just throw money at the issue. You need to figure out how much a study or a project costs first, THEN ask for the help from the state when you can provide a number and a concrete proposal about what you're going to use the money for.

Sasha | 2014-07-13 08:04:04

Maybe some of the money can go to cleaning up the lake so that people actually want to go there. If you ask anyone in town. 90% wont touch that water and the other 10% don't know how dirty it is.

Dan | 2014-07-13 05:28:28

That money could put in a lot of sewer pipe to help jump start downtown. Heard today Bertucci's is leaving soon, lease is up. Country Liquors corner is also being sold.

bob | 2014-07-12 17:43:24

Exciting! Love the rail trail. Running 13 this am! Can't wait to see it even better. It is a great addition to our town. If done right can bring even more good things to Holliston including some business oppertunities. While i am running this am my teenage girls are joining me with thier bikes and ice cream money.

Angela | 2014-07-12 06:46:44