Archive 2008 - 2019

Is the Flag at Half-Staff for a Reason?

by Meg Porter
2/23/2015

Before writing this story, I didn't know much about American Flag etiquette, so I went to Google for answers.  On June 22, 1942 Congress passed a joint resolution, later amended on December 22, 1942 that outlined what is now known as the U.S.. Flag code. A few details contained in the U.S.. Flag Code are summarized below.

The Flag of the U.S. is the emblem of our identity as a separate nation and has been for more than 200 years. It is customary to display the flag from sunrise to sunset on flagstaffs in the open. On special occasions it may be displayed at night for patriotic effect. Sufficient lighting is required so that passers by can tell it is the American Flag. The flag should not be displayed during inclement weather so that it does not get damaged unless it is a rugged, weather resistant flag.

The flag is to be displayed on all days, especially on numerous holidays (too many to list) and other days proclaimed by the President of the United States. The flag should fly high at all public institutions, at or near every polling place on Election Day and schools when school is in session.

When flown at half-staff, the flag should first be hoisted to the top for an instant, and then lowered to the half staff position. The flag must be flown at half-staff on all buildings on the death of any officer listed below, for the period indicated.  Only the President or a state Governor may order the flag to be displayed at half-staff.

For the President or former President: 30 Days from the date of death.
For the Vice President, Chief Justice or retired Chief Justice, Speaker of the House of Representatives: 10 days from the day of death

For an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a member of the Cabinet, a former Vice President, the President pro tempore of the Senate, the Majority/Minority Leader of the House of Representatives: From the day of death until internment.

For a U.S.. Senator, Representative, Delegate, or the Resident Commissioner from the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico: the flag should be flown in the metropolitan area of the District of Columbia, on the day of death and on the following day; in the state, congressional district, territory, or commonwealth of such Senator, Representative, Delegate, or Commissioner, from day of death until internment.

For a Governor: Within the state, territory, or possession, from the day of death until internment.

The U.S.. flag code does not mention former Senators or how the flag is to be displayed when Veterans die.

This just in, before I started writing this article I sent an email to Kevin Conley asking if he knew why the flag in front of the Town Hall was still at half-staff. I had almost finished the article when his response came in. “It’s at half staff until former Senator Brooke is buried”. In addition he included an email sent on 2/17/2015 from sharlene.a.queenan@state.ma.us Subject: No change in the half staff notification for former Senator Brooke. She “made another call to the Governor’s Office about the half-staffing of the flag in honor of former U.S.. Senator Brooke. The answer is the same. It is a statute (law) that the flag remain at half-staff until he is interred. From what I can tell, he will be interred in Arlington National Cemetery on or about March 10. The flags must remain at half-staff until then.”

Okay,  now I understand, but I’m still curious. Edward W. Brooke, III was elected in 1966. It seems a long period of time for our flag to remain at half-staff because a former Senator who, for some unknown reason, has not been buried yet.  If all Town flags are to be displayed at half-staff until his burial, shouldn't the flags in front of our police station and schools be flying at half staff? The town flags in Wellesley are not flying at half-staff.

That's all from me for now. Please let us know your thoughts, observations and opinions. Thank you Kevin Conley for your thorough response.

On March 10, 2015, HPD forwarded this communicATION: